It’s time for the children to get excited this year with the annual Garangao celebrations which occur half way through Ramadan. It is a uniquely Qatari tradition which is celebrated as part of the rich cultural heritage of Qatar.
The event occurs on the 14th night in the middle of the month of Ramadan, when parents traditionally sent their children out into the local neighbourhood to collect sweets and nuts. The children are dressed brightly in their Garangao clothing and are expected to sing the special Garangao song before they collect the nuts and sweets. There is lots to learn about the event as can be seen in the following short film by the Doha Film Institute. Renowned storyteller, Um Khalaf, sees it as an important part of Qatari tradition: ‘Take care of it, preserve it and strive to plant it in your children’s hearts.’
Some of the more popular Garangao activities took place over the last few days including the popular crafts and Garangao celebrations at Ezdan Mall and Hyatt Plaza Mall. Qatar National Library in association with Qatar Foundation held their biggest Garangao celebrations at Al Shaqab’s Indoor Arena.
However for those parents looking for Garangao Activities, there are a few still to occur – here is a list of some of the upcoming Garangao celebrations that Qatar Eating have researched and put together for you.
Please do keep a note of the dates and timings of the events – as some parents may find it is far too late for younger children. You may have to call to confirm attendance for some events, although most events are free and open to the public. Be sure to arrive on time.
AL JASRA BOUTIQUE HOTEL – GARANGAO EVENT
- 30th Tuesday June – from 8.30pm – 10.00pm at Al Jasra Boutique Hotel. They will have lots of activities including face painting and henna. Be sure to book by calling 4433 6616 or email [email protected]
Embrace Doha – CULTURAL AWARENESS EVENT
- Wednesday 1st July from 5pm – 7pm at Souq Waqif. For the adults there is a great initiative organised and held by Embrace Doha in a traditional house called “Fakhro House” between souq waqif police station and Al-Akar sweets shop. You can book in advance but payment is made on the day and it costs QR100 per person. It provides a traditional Ramadan experience to non-Qataris including Ladies’ Henna, Ramadan Iftar and Ramadan Discovery Session.
ASPIRE ZONE – GARANGAO EVENT
- Wednesday 1st July – from 9.00pm until midight at Freej Aspire located in Mhuhairjah area. There will be lots of crafts and games for children, as well as a special screening by Doha Film Institute of the children’s animated movie ‘Ponyo’. For more information about the Ramadan in Aspire and the timings of events call 5505 9119 or check the Aspire Ramadan website.
KATARA CULTURAL CENTRE – GARANGAO EVENT
- Wednesday 1st July – from 8.00pm – 11.00pm at Katara Cultural Village. The children collect a bag and then will follow a path through Katara to collect their sweets and nuts from vendors (the map is below). There will also be refreshments available at the Ramadan Market.
QATAR TOURISM AUTHORITY – GARANGAO EVENTS
- Wednesday 1st July from 8pm until 11pm at various locations. Qatar Tourism Authority have arranged memorable Garangao events at Doha Exhibition Center, Souq Waqif and also at Arrivals in Hamad international Airport.
EATOPIA – GARANGAO BAKING CLASS
- Wednesday 1st July – from 3.30pm – 5.00pm at Eatopia’s Drama Kitchen at Gate Mall. Children can attend a Garangao cupcake baking class and they will also receive Garangao goodies. Priced at QR150 per child and open to children up to the age of 10. You have to book a spot as places are limited; call 4020 6400 to reserve.
EZDAN MALL – BISCUIT BAKING WORKSHOP
- Wednesday 1st July – from 9.00pm – 10.00pm (Registration takes place between 7.30pm-8.30pm). Take your children to enjoy a biscuit making workshop in association with Ezdan Mall and Popeyes. Make sure to register your child in the regitration period of 7.30pm – 8.30pm at Ezdan Mall.
QATAR NATIONAL BANK (QNB) – GARANGAO EVENT
- Tuesday 30th June and Wednesday 1st July from 8.00pm until 11.00pm at the 3rd floor of City Center Mall. You are invited to bring your children to celebrate the special Garangao activites organized by the bank. There is also a Garangao Challenge app game that you can download and play.
The above video has been produced by QNB and it is adorable – if only candy and Garangao worked like that!
SOUQ WAQIF ART CENTER – PHOTO SESSION
- Wednesday 1st July from sunset until 11.00pm at Souq Waqif art Center. There will be a special photo session to celebrate Garangao cpsting QR20.
ROYAL PLAZA MALL – GARANGAO EVENT
- Thursday 2nd July – from 8.00pm to 10.30pm at Royal Plaza Mall. There are lots of planned activities including face painting and a magic show. All children dressed up in traditional dress will receive a gift.
Enjoy Garangao with your friends and family – there’s lots to do and see during Ramadan in Doha!
Pic Credits: Qatar Foundation; Ezdan Mall; Hyatt Plaza Mall; Katara; Aspire Zone; Embrace Doha; Royal Plaza Mall; Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels; Eatopia.