The Chinese Festival is presented by Qatar Museums, the Ministry of Culture of China and the Zhejiang Provincial Department of Culture. It will take place at MIA Park and presents the rich and varied cultures of China in Qatar, from 2nd to the 5th November 2016.
What is the Year of Culture?
Every year, Qatar Museums runs a cultural exchange programme ‘Years of Culture’, where Qatar and the partner nation work to increase understanding between the two countries and their people through mutual exchanges of arts, culture, heritage and sport. Last year was Qatar-Turkey 2015 and the Turkish Festival at MIA Park highlighted the food, art and culture of Turkey.
This year’s partner nation is The People’s Republic of China, and Qatar-China 2016 has already celebrated a whole range of events and special exhibits. There is an excellent and informative Treasures of China exhibit currently at MIA; it also has some pieces from the world famous Terracotta Army. So if you plan to visit MIA Park, be sure to check out the exhibit at the Museum of Islamic art (check opening times before you plan your visit!).
Chinese Festival at MIA Park
China will be celebrated with musical performances, film, children’s activities and delicious food. Whilst the leading musicians and performers of Zhejiang’s will perform in a outdoor setting that will include a Chinese market, Chinese tea house, stage, photography exhibition space, food stalls and a children’s area.
UPDATE: Qatar Eating has been to check out the first day of the Chinese Festival. Keep reading for a ‘What To Expect’ which includes all the food stalls and menus with prices. Check out our Instagram Qatar_Eating for our Insta Story with our first impressions.
Check below for the current schedule of events (please note that organisers may change the timings and events last minute).
Highlights include Tai Chi, Kung Fu for Kids, Chinese Language Courses, Shadow Puppet Shows, and crafts such as making kites, woodblock printing and Chinese Calligraphy.
Chinese Festival MIA Park
Wednesday 2nd Nov: 5PM – 10PM
Thursday & Friday 3rd & 4th Nov: 2PM – 10PM
Saturday 5th Nov: 10AM – 10PM
Please note: There will be no parking on site for the duration of the Festival. (Visitors can use the scheduled Park & Ride service from Old Doha Airport Parking to MIA Park).
Be prepared in advance if you are expecting to eat at the Festival. Debit/credit cards are not expected at either the Bazaar or the Food Stalls, so bring cash. Also there are usually mobile ATMs at these events, but they were not available.
Tips to Get the Best Out of The Festival:
- Head to the Pop Up Photography Galleries near the stage area if you get hot and bothered, as there are AC units inside!
- Be sure to double check the timings of events once you are there, as last minute changes are possible. There are screens near the stage with timings of performances, and a schedule for the crafts activities.
- It’s not necessary for you to eat at the Festival. This isn’t like QIFF; food is a part of the Chinese Festival, but it is not the focus. There are only 7 food stalls, and so not a big variety between menus. So if you are a big family (or have picky eaters) then consider whether you want to bring food or beverages with you, so that you can enjoy the Festival without spending over your budget.
- Think about making a picnic of it, and bring along a blanket or chairs and pack your own treats.
- Expect food stalls to run out of the bestsellers. There will also be a lot of waiting in a queue – both to pay and to collect your food.
- Look out for combo plates or meals.
- There are crafts and items for sale at the Festival, but not many things within a low price point.
- If you have children do check out the excellent activities such as Kung Fu for Kids or Kite Making. These will take place in the Workshop Area.
- The Stage Performances are fantastic; so sit back and relax and watch the great show!
Chinese Festival MIA Park – What to Expect
Shanghai Memory Chinese Restaurant, Al Safa Hotel
They are also catering the Tea House with sweet treats and beverages
Chinese Festival MIA Park
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Chinese Festival MIA Park – PARK & RIDE SERVICE TIMINGS
Wednesday 2nd Nov: 4PM – 11PM
Thursday & Friday: 3rd & 4th Nov: 1PM – 11PM
Saturday 5th Nov: 9AM – 11PM